Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My Bloody Valentine (1981) :Movie Review

This movie brings a sense of wonder to me. My father's family was a coal mining family when he was growing up. His father lost his job when there was a lot of strikes and issues with the unions. So anytime I see a movie or something on the news about miners especially coal miners my attention is grabbed.

I saw the remake in theaters when it came out a few years ago and I was not that impressed with it. I thought, like with many others that I would enjoy the original better. That is not the case. I plan on watching the remake just to make sure I remember it correctly.

Synopsis: There's an old tale about men dying in a coal mine, except one survives. He goes crazy and kills the men responsible for the deaths of the other miners. Every year people are afraid to have their annual Valentine's party because of the fear this murder will come back. It's 20 years later and when the town decides to hold a party once again, murders start to happen. A group of young adults define orders to not have any parties. 


Review: I was hoping that this movie would be like other original slasher movies and be decent. I was sadly let down. Right away I notice a light hearted funny aspect. I know that a lot of horror movies you have your class clown, but in this movie it just seem out of place. I thought they got the genre wrong when I first started watching the movie. As the story line progressed I was still not convinced this was one of the good slasher films of the 1980s. The gore and suspense was alright. I did not see anything that really stood out. If you have seen any of the classic horror movies from the 1970s and 1980s this movie seems to lack something the other had. 


So if you were hoping that this movie would be up there with movies like Friday the 13th and Halloween, well you are mistaken. I found it lacking in substance even with romance, humor and death. Kind of hard to do that, but this movie some how did it. I say skip this movie unless like me you were curious to see how it compares to the remake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment