Pages

Friday, August 1, 2014

The Purge:Anarchy Movie Review

For those of you who were upset with how the purge played out by only focusing on the one rich family they came out with a sequel that gave you want you wanted. How did it fair for me? Well keep reading.

Synopsis: it's 2023 and every year here's the annual purge where Americans are allowed to go out and kill but other crimes are allowed as well. This is to help drop the crime rate and feed the rage inside everyone. This night focuses on a group of strangers who are stuck outside during the purge and their attempt to suvive despite their bad luck.



Review: I will say that this move was much better than the first one. It gave us the perspective of those who cannot afford to completely lock down their homes during the purge. It focuses on those who get traped outside and how hard it is for them to survive.

I was able to enjoy this movie because 1) I did not see what was coming ahead like I did with the first one and 2) it actually help you see how you might not survive despite how smart or in shape you are.

My biggest issue with this movie is they seem to promote it as a horror movie. While it could be it's really an action suspends movie like Die Hard. I really wanted to see a much darker movie that really gets into your head. Makes you feel unsafe and want to be glad when the movie is over because it's not real. There so much they don't tell you about the purge and how it is handled. How does it look in rural settings outside the city? Are there torture and raping going on while there is killing. I feel like they focus only on the killing while there are other horrible acts that could make the movie darker. Hell I've seen criminal minds episodes darker than this movie.

So this is a decent movie to see I just wanted more horror. I also saw a bit in it that seemed a little like hostile and I think you could go down that route and make that a focus for the entire movie. 

1 comment:

  1. That's a bummer, and I see what you're saying. I thought the premise of the purge was really engaging adn huge potential. I see why they focused on one family in the first movie, mainly a budgetary constriction, where producers had to prove that the concept had a wide enough audience before they could expand it in the second one. They had a chance to really show the horror of such an event, exposing and encouraging society's darker nature, but it sounds like the filmmakers didn't dig deep enough on this one. From what I heard they made it more about class warfare and exploiting the 1% issue, rather than something much more sinister and eternal.

    ReplyDelete