Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

10 of the Most Influential Horror Films of the Last 15 Years

This is floating around the internet and since I've been so quite I figured I would share and add my own thoughts on the list. You can find it HERE

The Blair Witch Project
Paranormal Activity 
Trick r Treat
High Tension 
Shaun of the Dead
Ringu
The Devil's Rejects
28 Day Later
Saw
Hostel





So for me I agree that Trick r Treat, The Devi's Rejects, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Saw and Hostel really had an impact on the horror franchise. The rest I'm not so sure. I haven't seen High Tension and I am not a fan of the "lost tape" horror movies. They lack a lot of things for me, plus everyone is doing it... okay maybe it makes it influential in someway, but not for me. Ringu  I saw the American version of it so I'm not sure if I would put it up there.

For me I am a little surprise at the list, so here's my take and I have to go through all my favorite horror movies and take out my like top 8 since most of those are more than 15 years old.

Repo the Genetic Opera- lets say that everyone didn't believe an opera could be a good horror movie, but we were wrong. It's inspired a huge cult following and they have done well with their second movie (Devil's Carnival) which I did not like as much.

Saw- It added a twist and a new look at serial killers and how we look at crime.

Hostel- A new idea on how to kill that I think was lacking from the franchise

House of a Thousand Corpse- I think this one rather than The Devil's Rejects should be on the list. It really brought back the old 1970s horror movies we love.

Trick r Treat- I feel is one of the better horror anthologies out there. It's done so well and I was instantly in love with it.

28 Days Later- For me it was the start of the zombie craze end of the world before the Walking Dead came on the small screen.

Vacancy- I think this movie was done well to bring in a lot of fears people would have by traveling, similar to what Psycho did.

Rec- This movie while a Spanish movie and later redone in the US called Quarantine was done well. It's a possession movie without being like the Exorcist and every other movie like that.

American Psycho- I don't know how I forgot about this movie being horror... well okay for some maybe not, but it's an amazing movie and I think it's one that people still talk about.

Jason X- Yes I am putting that one there. While it was a crappy movie it really showed that it's okay to make fun of the campy horror movies and still be a horror movie without too much effort.

What would be on your list or do you agree with Shock till you Drop's list?

1 comment:

  1. OMGGGG Jason X!! I can still remember when you and I saw that opening weekend. I agree with you though -- it's crappy yet fun

    ReplyDelete