Pages

Friday, October 11, 2013

American Horror Story Season 3-1 Review

I am still watching season 2, but since this show has a new story, characters and plots I was able to watch season 3's premier without missing things. Here's my thoughts about the episode.


To start off when I heard they were doing a season on witches I was very excited. As a young teen I was really into learning about the Salem and Salem Village Witch Trials. Maybe a little too into them. As a confused teen being forced to go to Mass and attend Catholic School I looked into witchcraft and wicca. I never did much with it, but it is still something I have an interest in. I visited Salem when I was in Boston a few years ago and just loved it there. So needless to say this kind of thing really speaks to me. 

I try not to get too much information about shows before I see them. I like to be surprised. I didn't watch all the teaser trailers nor the behind the scenes history videos they has put out. I don't now if I'll go bad and see it, but maybe. 

I also have trouble paying attention to the opening credits. The music creeps me out and there is so much there I know I'll never get every piece they show you, but as always it is done very well. 

To start off I LOVE that they are using Madame LaLarie in the show. I was listening to this podcast on history and one of the episodes was about her. I was seeing the name by Kathy Bates and was excited even more. You can learn all about her HERE. A very interesting woman. The whole opening scene was amazing. I think they did an amazing job getting into the mind of this woman and how she was looking for eternal life. 

I love that they use the same cast and give them a brand new role each season. These actors are great at making us forget they played on character one season and a different charter the next. That is some times hard to pull off, but they all do it well. We have several who have been in all 3 seasons and a few from the first season coming back. So if you had seen the other seasons don't feel like you can't watch because Evan Peters will always be Tate to you. You can easily forget that. 

I cannot say that I loved this first episode. There's a lot to take in and you know most of it will play out throughout the season. So it's hard to be overly excited for the season by just this episode alone, but it's done very well and I'm going to try to keep on top of the show this season. 

As you will discover about this show they take all kinds of topics in American history and really push the limit with it to show how bad it is. The best example in this episode is the frat party. It's all things we heard about and see in media, but the way that Emma Roberts character get revenge is what I feel like a lot of women wish they could do when faced in a similar situation. Hell there are times I wish I could do what she did when I see someone driving too fast or erratic and are going to kill someone with how they drive. So it's excited to think about the themes and topics they will cover, here's my projected list of what I foresee them covering. 

1. Eternal Beauty
2. Religious Persecution 
3. Sex
4. Rape
5. Resurrection
6. Mother Daughter issues

These could be wrong and others they will go into, but I think the first 2 are the main ones they are going to focus. 

What did you think about the first episode of the new season?

No comments:

Post a Comment