Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Bates Motel Pilot Episode

If you know me, you know that one of my all time favorite horror movies is Psycho by Alfred Hitchcock. So when I heard they were doing a TV show and all based on Norman and his mother I was a little unsure about how I felt about it. I'm not always a horror purist, but there are some things I think the horror genre lately has been ruining and that's with the remakes, sequels and overall bad bad choices.

The pilot episode of Bates Motel was on Monday March 18th and I was able to find the full episode on A&E's website.

Synopsis:
Norman Bates and his mother Norma move from Arizona to some small Oregon town near the coast. They buy a home with a motel. This is starting over... again for the two of them. Norman seems to hit it big with the pretty girls in school despite being a bit awkward. His language arts teacher is his advisor as well and seem really into him finding his place and there's a bit of awkwardness between the two.





The former owner of the house and motel start harassing the Bates because he lost his property and decides to come claim it and everything inside including Norma. He kills the man and has Norman help her move his body to the motel to hid in a tub. To cover it up they start taking the carpet out to show that they are remodeling it so it doesn't look suspicious. They dump his body in the lake and the episode ends.

Review:
Overall I have no idea how I feel about this show. One episode isn't enough to really judge it, but its not enough to make me fall in love with it. I'm a little confused on why Norman and his mother dress like its 1950s yet it's clearly present day. I don't know if its some kind of throw back or what. Just seems odd. Yes there are people who dress in vintage clothing but this does not see like the answer.

I also don't understand why they are in Oregon. The Bates Motel is in Arizona where they say the Bates are from just outside of Scottsdale. I get that it's a wink to those who know Psycho but just doesn't make sense.

I will watch more to see if its going to be worth it. I will say that the acting is good it's just the writers and directors part that I'm a little lost on.

No comments:

Post a Comment