Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Movies To Help a Horror Newbie

I been wanting to do this for sometime and finally decided to sit down and do it. I've decided to come up with a list of movies that those wanting to start getting into horror movies should watch first before delving into some more complicated and weird ones. I will preface that all the movies I will mention are the originals not the remakes. I am doing this because those original movies set the bar and I feel like the remakes did a bad job at capturing the fear and suspense that the originals had. Plus, some of the original ones had better make-up and effects I feel than the remakes.

So with that stated lets get started.

Halloween
Friday the 13
Nightmare on Elm Street
Scream
Psycho
House of 1,000 Corpses
Universal Monsters: Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy Curse/The Mummy's Ghost
Dawn of the Dead
Urban Legend
Poltergeist
The Night of the Living Dead
It
The Shinning
The Puppet Master
Jeepers Creepers

Movies to Stay Away From

Saw
Human Centipede ( all 3 of them)
The Cabin in the Woods
Evil Dead
Paranormal Activity
Blair Witch Project

Yes some of these are my favorite but they either have a lot of elements from my to watch list or you need a good horror  background to understand.

For example if you are new to horror Cabin in the Woods not only takes a lot of the early story from Evil Dead it also has a scene near the end with cameos of tons of other horror characters and I feel that to get the full impact you need some homework done before you watch it.

Some I think are very gorey and have some triggering moments that might turn someone off right away.

So have anything to add to the lists? Let me know of you agree or disagree with what I have here.

No comments:

Post a Comment