Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

The Human Centipede: Review

I was actually planing on reviewing a different movie for my first review, but I decided to do this movie instead. It's been a hot topic between friends of mine and I have been curious to see what all the hype was about. It got me even more curious after watching the South Park Episode where they mention the movie and make fun of Apple at the same time. So I had to see what everyone was talking about.

Synopsis: The movie takes place someplace in Germany. Two America female tourists are on a road trip throughout Europe and they are on their way to a night club, when they get a flat tire and are stranded. They don't know a word of German and have no idea where they are. They unfortunately find a house where this doctor is willing to help them get a car so they can go back to their hotel. Of course that does not happen. Instead he drugs them and prepared them to join an Asian male to be a new pet, a human centipede.

Review: Now I will say that my expectations of the movie were sent very high. I was thinking that it was going to be gritty and gory like the Saw movies or House of a Thousand Corpses. This movie was too clean. It was surgical clean and lacking any decent gore. I honestly thought based on people's opinions of the movie that it was going to show the actual surgery. It didn't. There was the scene of him pulling out two teeth and making the cut on one of the girl's butt, but nothing that bad. Even the blood is minimal. There is blood and not a tiny bit, but not too excessive either. 


I thought the idea was interesting and I think that's where it got people. It was more of a psychological horror, than a sadistic gory movie. I think the idea of people being trapped and surgically attached to other is kind of horrific, but I didn't get my fear meter up. I just watched as an outsider. I could not place myself in this and maybe that's where I differ from other people. They could imagine themselves stuck in that house and stuck to two other people, with no hope of escape. It was trying to play with emotions, but I just could not get roped in. 


Another thing I thought was odd was there was no build up or experimentation on how this doctor got into wanting to attach people. If you have ever watched anything on serial killers there are definite signs and events that lead up to the bigger events. So there should be experiments with other animals and what not before he went to the dogs and the humans. While the guy was a surgeon I doubt that he was able to be successful twice in two large mammals.


I also thought it was weird that he took the time when the police came to his house to hide the picture of his dogs, but not all the paintings and pictures of siamese twins. They were creepy and definably something I would notice and get a clue I should leave ASAP. I think it was something to show he was a bit crazy, but not something explained of his fascination of Siamese twins.


So overall the movie wasn't bad, the quality was decent better than a lot of B-Horror movies. The acting was decent as well, there was not a time I thought that they were not actually attach together. The acting wasn't horrible, but as I said I was not drawn into the movie as I have with others. 


So I say if you want to see it, but didn't because like me you thought there was going to be a lot of gore, then go ahead and watch it. If you are not sure if you can handle watching a movie with the idea of being attached to two other people, then maybe you should just skip it. 


EDIT: I'm adding the video review I did. Tell me if you liked it

2 comments:

  1. So I just read some news on the sequel to this, entitled The Human Centapede II (Full Sequence). The director said the sequel will make this movie look like "My Little Pony." And from the sound of it, he's right on with that statement. Let me know if you want the link to it. The plot and what the movie will focus on sounds pretty messed up....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up. After reading your comment I saw the info on shock till you drop. Boy you are right it does sounds like it's going to be very messed up. What is wrong with people who come up with things like this?

    ReplyDelete