Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Movie Review: The Tall Man

I'm not sure which is worst. A really bad horror movie you thought was going to be good, or a movie that appears to be a horror movie, but really isn't.

Synopsis: In a small mining town that has seen better days children are starting to go missing. The town folks quickly accuse a mythical man named "The Tall Man" for taking these children with no trace as to where they have gone. The town's nurse's child goes missing and a whole new plot unfolds.



Review: This was one of those movies that the post caught my attention when I saw it on another site. I decided to watch it when I had the chance and now I want to go back and see if it was actually labeled as a horror movie. Like Straw Dogs, this appears to be a horror movie, but really it's just a suspense/mystery movie. 

I thought the first part of the movie was really good. The twists that come later were done really well because you were not expecting them. They also kept coming and by the end of the movie you understand it all. Even though you still wonder how they did it, there's little that is not explained. 

My BIG issue with this movie was the lack of this Tall Man. I was hoping they would play more with the myth, even if it was people taking children to have a better life. I wanted them to create more of a legend  with him. They could have done it. I was thinking at the beginning of the movie that it would be similar to The Mothman Prophecy. So I think they fell short on building this Tall Man. 

I do understand the movie and where it was coming from on why they were taking the children. I think that added an element to the movie. Jessica Biel does an amazing job in this movie and she does an amazing job with her role.

I say give this movie a try. You might end up liking it, even if it's not really a horror movie.  


No comments:

Post a Comment