Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Movie Review: Scream4

I am always amazed at some horror movie franchise and how they either go on way too long, or not long enough. With Scream I wasn't sure where it was going. The 3rd movie did not seem like the right one to end on and for a movie where, the killer is always different in each movie, it's funny how despite that, we are scare of Ghostface.

Synopsis: It's been 10 years since the Woodsboro killings and Sydney Prescott returns to her hometown on a stop in her book tour. To help with the healing from all the traumatic events from her past. Of course while she thinks nothing is going to happen, but no one seems to let things stay in the past. A new killer emerges and they seem to be targeting Sydney's cousin Jill and her friends.

Review: I have always liked the Scream movies, well 2 and 3 were not that great, but they were better than some of other sequels for horror movies. As usually as the number goes up in the series the worse or too comedic the movie gets. So I was a little unsure with this one if it was really going to be good or not.

What I like about the Scream movies is they play with the "rules" of horror movie and while there are funny moments they don't get too carried away with humor. It's more about simple funny moments that actually happen in real life.

This movie was all about remakes, which seems just about right since these days there aren't many big new horror series. We are now trying to remake every good slasher film and trying to out do it. We see this in Scream 4 and you want to cheer a long with keeping things original. Even watching my boyfriend noticed right away that the killings were similar to the first movie. I had to tell him yes, but that's all I was going to say since I had seen the movie before him.


My favorite line in the movie happens at the very end and is said by Sydney Prescott and I'm paraphrasing here, "The one rule about remakes you're forgetting is don't fuck with the original." If you know me you'll know I agree with this 100%. There is only one remake I think I have ever liked better than the original and I didn't even like it on it's own.

So if you enjoyed Scream One, you will like Scream 4 just as much.

3 comments:

  1. Agreed. I nearly hold this one up on the same plate as the first film. I enjoyed 2, was really disappointed in 3. I like Jay and Silent Bob enough, but don't think they have a place in a horror franchise. Plus, I wasn't too thrilled with the revealing twists in 2 and 3. 4 is great, though.

    Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! I'll have to check out 4...I've had my doubts, but I'm hearing good things now.

    ReplyDelete