Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Movie Review: Final Destination 5

Before I begin I figured I would give a warning out to all of you reading this. I am going to spoil this movie. I will tell you the big bad secret this movie was trying to hide from us all until we saw it. I have yet to find any indication of this secret on-line so I am not sure why this was not a hot topic for this movie. If you remember the movie The Village or any of M. Night's movies there is always talk about the twist at the end. This movie has that twist and let's just say, when I caught it... I was pissed. I will try to give warning of when I will spoil the movie, for those of you who like to be spoil free before seeing a movie.

For those of you who have not seen any of these movies they are all the same (I have not seen the 3rd or 4th movie), the main character has a premonition that everyone is going to die in some crazy freak accident like in the first movie where the plane blows up. Then the main character wakes up and is glad it was just a dream, when they start getting deja vu  and living the dream things go crazy. Of course because of this dream the main character tries to saves everyone and of course this changes the course of events of who is suppose to die.  We all know death is not a being to mess with.  So death (who never appears in these movies) tries to keep up with the plan of who's to die and in what order and this is what we see as the movies progress. At some point either Tony Todd's character Mr. Bludworth (you know him best as the Candyman, but he's not in the 3rd or 4th movies) lets the group know they have pissed off death and he's coming for them anyway, OR they figure it out themselves.

Synopsis: In the fifth and I believe final movie of this series a group of workers from a paper company leave for a company retreat... yeah I guess people still go on those. While on the bus over a suspension bridge when the main character Sam Lawton (Nicholas D'Agosto) has a dream about the bridge collapsing and his ex-girlfriend and co-workers die in this freak accident. When he starts to realize that this is not another dream he gets people off and saves a bunch of his co-workers, but not all. So during the funeral the creepy Mr. Bludworth tells the group that death doesn't like to be cheated.

The movie continues with the group trying to pick up their lives after they escaped death death's grip. Of course they are not safe, a gymnasts falls off the bars and is snapped in half when the A/C leaks coolant by a fan, and a screw falls on the balance beam. A man is getting an acupuncture session when he falls off and a bottle of alcohol falls on the floor and a candle falls with it, a sexy glasses wearing girl decides to get Lasik surgery and of course the machine goes crazy. And it goes on from there until there are just two survivors left.  

SPOILER ALERT
So the main two characters go to Paris because Sam gets an internship to be a chef over there... yeah I don't get that either, but whatever. Paris is mentioned a lot and I just though it was a way to tie in the first movie to this one. I thought that geez why does everyone think escaping to Paris is a great idea. That is when you realized this isn't movie number 5, but.... you ready for it... a prequel!!! That's right the two characters get on the same flight to Paris as the kids in the first movie. Yes, you read that right it explains why the plane went down and what started the series. I was not expecting this and I do not think anyone else did either. I think what did it was they tried to play it off as just another movie and not a prequel. I think this really made me feel sour about the movie.



Review: So we all know that sequels and horror movies go hand in hand, but there are just some that should never go past the first movie. This series is one of them. The plot is always the same, you have to be someone who enjoys slow build ups, the only thing different is the way people die. I will say that I enjoyed the first movie. It brought a new idea to the horror genre, but after the second one I thought this is becoming one of those movies just to make money and not good horror.

I wasn't expecting much from this movie, but geez when the ending came ( either read above to see what I'm talking about or go see the movie yourself) I was pissed. The gore was decent, nothing too outstanding. It made you never want to get Lasik or get acupuncture or any other method of trying to de-stress or make your life better. What's next Botox goes wrong?

I also was puzzled by Tony Todd's character. In the first movie I am sure he's an embalmer, but in the fifth he's the medical examiner. From my knowledge embalming is something funeral homes do. I could be wrong, but it was confusing to me.

Also it took the group 52 minutes into a movie that was an hour and a half to figure out that death was mad they cheated him... did the other movie take this long for them to figure this out? I cannot remember, but I am sure it was not that long. I will say also that I kept looking at the clock and was wondering why so many of them where still alive with 7 minutes left. I guess I might need to watch the first one over to see if there are things I missed between the two.

So I will say don't waste your time seeing this movie. If you want to see what they are about just watch the first one. It's the only good one and not to be missed if you want an original story idea.

I also need ideas for rating like 5 shrunken heads or something. I need the graphics that are free to use and easy for me to edit if I need a half or a quarter of a graphic. Anyone have ideas let me know.

2 comments:

  1. You could always use a graphic that changes and is relevant to that particular movie. Like Final Destination gets three scythes, and Nightmare on Elm Street gets four knife-gloves.

    I would suggest to cut one in half you could make a JPEG out of it, load it up in Microsoft Paint, and just erase half the image and then save that as a new JPEG file.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of all of that. Well I don't have a paint program because there's expensive even for a Mac and the other problem is finding graphics that I can used like clip art or something. I'm not a huge digital graphics person so I am limited in what I personally can do.

    ReplyDelete