Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Movie Review: Fright Night (2011)

Ah finally a movie that is theaters and has not been out for 20 years... yeah I know it's finally here!! A movie review of a current movie AND a video review. The video is a bit crappy, but hey I'm no professional. It's a working progress, but I figured I would give it a try.

So anyway this movie is a remake... yes another remake. I have not seen the original, I didn't even realize there was one until recently. I have not had the chance to see it because it's being used by everyone else that uses Netflix so maybe I can do an Original VS Remake one of these days.  Before I begin the review... or continue on with it I was to again give a shout out to my buddies over at Inglorious Blogsters . Do check out their blog not only because they are friends of mine, but in the future Brian and I will be doing a... duo review... no... a tag-team review... no... a buddy review... I don't know what we're going to call it, but both of us will see a horror movie together and write our own reviews for our blogs and let the other post out review with theirs so you get two reviews for the price of one! I know you're not excited now, but you will be... or I'll come to your house and make you eat your own poop.

Anyway back to the vampire movie... yes, Fright Night (2011) is another vampire movie... but don't stop reading now, it's not like all those other vampire movies that 12 year old girls want to date. It's back to your roots vampire movie. Most likely because it's a remake, but still a movie where there are not sexy girls and guys wanting to have sex with a vampire, date a vampire, have a baby with a vampire and whatever else those movie make teens want to do with a vampire. I don't know because I don't watch those kind of movies. This movie makes vampires scary again and not a coffin buddy.


Synopsis: A remake of the 1985 original, teenager Charley Brewster (Yelchin) guesses that his new neighbor Jerry Dandrige (Farrell) is a vampire responsible for a string of recent deaths. When no one he knows believes him, he enlists Peter Vincent (Tennant), a self proclaimed vampire killer and Las Vegas magician, to help him take down Jerry (IMDB).




Opinion: FINALLY a movie that is not "I want to have sex with a vampire" movie. I was starting to get a little sick of the vampire genre and move onto zombies or ghosts, but this movie gave me a bit of faith that Hollywood hasn't completely lost it's mind for vampire movies that are target for preteens. The graphics and special effects were great. Yes, you can tell they are computerized, but how else are you going to get a awesome vampire bursting into flames? The plot was also good. Didn't leave any holes, explained everything that was mentioned ie. the vampire killer's reason for collecting all that crap or why Las Vegas for a vampire to live and hunt in. There was not a whole lot of sex, drugs and/or alcohol involved, which is good in some cases, but would have been overdone in this movie. 


So yes, do go see this movie or rent it when it's on DVD/Blu-ray. It will give you faith back into vampires again and not make you want to throw out all your Anne Rice books and fake fangs... whatever else people collect that is of the vampire genre. 






So here's my video review which is just okay, but there's some other news on there that I haven't mentioned here. 



1 comment:

  1. I've seen Buried and it's actually really good! Not so much a horror movie as it is a thriller/suspense. It's the type of movie where you think it's pretty good or really dumb -- no in between. Let me know how you like it.

    And thanks for the awesome shout outs!!

    ReplyDelete