Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Movie Review: The Rite

Yeah another exorcism movie. I actually started this movie, got bored and I stop watching it. After I watched The Last Exorcism I decided to finish The Rite and see if I could get into it more.

Synopsis: Michael, who's father is a funeral director, joins the priesthood in order to get away from him. He goes to Seminary school where he decides to drop out with having no faith anymore. After witnessing an accident and being asked to pray for the victim herself, his mentor sends him to the Vatican to take the exorcism classes in hopes to bring Michael's faith back. Still not a believer he is sent to Father Lucas, an Exorcist to help with a 16 year old pregnant girl.

Through this time Michael still is a skeptic and he starts to see things that he has trouble understanding. It takes time for him to become a believer.


Review: Like I said above I got bored with this movie. It is like every other exorcism movie I have ever seen. There's the believer and the nonbeliever. Someone is possessed, usually an innocent child, and by the end of the movie the nonbeliever either does believe, or they die. So what is different about this movies? Nothing honestly, you barely get a look into the Catholic Church's exorcism school. There is some underlying issue between Michael and his father that seems to do with his mother's death, but I am not sure what it was.

The "journey" of Michael becoming a believer seemed pointless. He went through what exactly? I think being tormented by a demon, but that's it. Only because he didn't believe? Then miraculously he believes and defeats the demon... wait how did this happen? I think I missed something. Yes, he lost his father and Father Lucas goes.... crazy? None of that seem to help turn Michael into a believer. Big fail!

I usually like movies with Anthony Hopkins, but not this one. It was just okay. I'd say skip this movie and only watch The Exorcist. It's the only good one out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment